A way of indulging my unhealthy obsession with both magazines and taking pictures...

Monday, June 25

Paper: Hound Magazine

An interesting and easily edible free zine. I found my copy of Hound magazine whilst feeling rather out of place in Rough Trade, at the back by the notices. It was amongst other free music mags like The Stool Pigeon, and I guess that's what it primarily is, a free music mag, but its probably the most engaging and well put together one I've ever picked up.

 
40 smaller-than-a4 newspaper quality pages of the expected music reviews, interviews and new releases, but theres also some wild cards and off the wall bits, a couple articles struggling with the concept of utopia vs dystopia, a comic strip, a centre fold poster of a gorgeous illustration and even an interview with Jesus Christ. On the whole, the combination of music content and interesting bits makes it wholly engaging and so easy to read, I gobbled it up.
The design is quite nice, not too perfect but simple and easily navigated, with some nice font details and lots of room.
And, I adore the front cover. Always a sucker for a bit of gritty photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment